- First LIAS terminals available to Library Users
- Special Collections assigned 3 IBM PCs.
- “Brief Record” project in Special Collections: 44,000 LIAS records created.
- Faculty and Student Studies created on 3rd floor of McFarlin 1929 wing.
- Library finishes eliminating the main cataloguing backlog of 436,000 items.
- Browsing Room is remodeled and renamed the Faculty Study. The second floor north is named the Student Study.
- Special Collections acquires the Rebecca West collection, the Elizabeth Taylor collection and the David Emery Gascoyne collection.
- 3rd floor East Wing assigned to Special Collections..
- Rebecca West Papers arrive.
- Archive functions merged with Special Collections; Toby Murray moves to full-time Conservation Administration News and preservation activity.
- Card catalog discarded
- Wilson proposal developed with Kenneth Kirkpatrick and submitted to NEH.
- Colin Franklin is visiting professor of English.
- Library is given 10 Memorex-Telex microcomputers for patron use and instruction.
- Public LIAS terminals increase from 6 terminals to 12.
- Automated inventory control implemented using LIAS (Library Information Access System).
- Cards are still used to check out books.
- First databases and indexes (subsidized searching).
- Sitwell Family collection acquired from William Wreden.
- Revised Wilson proposal submitted to NEH.
- First use of 1.5 million polyester for dust jacket protection.
- Wilson Library fully catalogued.
- Colin Franklin is again visiting professor of English.
- Lori N. Curtis joins staff of Special Collections.
- Special Collections administrative area remodeled.
- Richard Ellmann papers acquired.
- Library cataloguers get their own LIAS terminals on their desks.
- LIAS first used to check out books to patrons.
- Irish poet Richard Murphy donates his papers to TU.
- Sixth floor Preservation Lab opens.
- Library acquires two-millionth volume.
- Public LIAS terminals get their first printer.
- Poetry Bookshop collection acquired from Howard Woolmer. Paul Scott exhibition mounted at Philbrook.
- Richard Ellmann’s library arrives; Ellsworth Mason donates files on his work with Ellmann.
- E.Nelson Bridwell collection donated by Marjorie Smalley.
- HVAC system in Special Collections is replaced; each floor individually zoned.
- Richard Murphy papers acquired.
- Anthony Rota is visiting professor in English.
- The family of J.B. Milam, Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation from 1941 to 1949, donates his extensive library to TU.
- McFarlin acquires the E. Nelson Bridwell and Willa Cather collections.
- Photocopies cost $.05 each.
- 2,025,366 volume equivalents.
- Perimeter security system (Schlage Electronics Model 808S) installed. Dewey classified books inventoried.
- Willa Cather collection given by Mary Herron.
- RLIN terminals installed.
- Special Collections remained open Wednesday evenings (too few staff, too little traffic, to continue).
- J.B, Milam Library given by grandchildren; Farris collection of bird slides donated.
- Oklahoma’s research universities (TU, OU and OSU) agree to reciprocal privileges with other universities for faculty.
- Dr. Ben Henneke, TU President Emeritus, begins to donate his research materials to the library.
- A fiber optic LAN is installed in the library.
- McFarlin becomes tobacco free.
- IBM 8088 PCs replaced with three PS2s.
- Tulsa Audubon Society Papers; Samuel G. Kennedy notebook
- First CD-ROM products are introduced in the library.
- Computers upgraded to DTK386sxs.
- Kavan watercolors and sketches added; Our American Cousin; Harriet Barclay papers
- Encapsulation using Mylar “pages” constructed for some high-value manuscripts begun.
- 241 Rhys letters to Francis Wyndham. Murphy-Larkin letter.
- McFarlin’s staff gets email, and begins to experiment with Gopher, Lynx, and Usenet.
- Sid Huttner appointed Asst to Director for Library Relations.
- Richard Murphy program at a Cultivation dinner held in George Gilpin’s home.
- Dinner meeting of prospects for a Visiting Committee for Special Collections.
- McFarlin Fellows is created to provide funds for acquiring distinguished rare books and manuscripts.
- V.S. Naipaul Papers acquired.
- Visiting Committee for Special Collections appointed by Provost Gilpin. They recommend the McFarlin Fellows to provide (1) opportunities, by way of
programs, for publicizing the collections and the library’s work; (2) funding, by way of annual gifts, and (3) a means to attract the support of collectors and others interested in books and literature who, over time, become donors.
- Western History Association meets Tulsa; Milam catalog published.
- Much effort to meet NAGPRA requirements.
- McFarlin Fellows initiated.
- Filmmakers Dayton Duncan and Geoffrey Ward speak at the first formal McFarlin Fellows dinner.
- Special Collections acquires the William Trevor collection, the Jean Rhys collection and the V. S. Naipaul collection.
- The Oil Bust of the late 80s finally reaches the Library, with increasing losses in periodicals and staff layoffs.
- Revised access policies, increased fees-for-service implemented; 25 McFarlin Fellows.
- V.S. Naipaul visits; gives reading.
- Max Beerbohm’s copy of Zuleika Dobson acquired from Rupert Hart-Davis; Donal K. Holway gives his mother’s Signpost Library.
- Gopher site established on Tured (Petroleum Abstracts server)
- William Trevor Addenda; 30 Fellows.
- George H. Gilpin steps down as Provost; 35 McFarlin Fellows have raised $162,000.
- The Reference Desk is moved to its long-term location in the underground addition on the study level. The North and South Reference Rooms are converted to computer labs.
- First Internet computers available to Library Users
- The library develops its first webpage.
- University “reengineering”: nearly 40 positions eliminated, including a dozen library positions.
- Dialog (The University ofTulsa Magazine): Sidney F. Huttner, “In the Heart of the Heart”, p16-19. Article reviewing gifts to the library over the University’s 100-year history.
- 40 McFarlin Fellows.
- Deutsch Addenda acquired.
- Blunden collection acquired from Hart-Davis.
- John Rogers, Jr. gift of Limited Editions Club books.
- The library adopts Innovative Interfaces as its new online catalog system.
- Migration from LIAS to Innopac online catalog.Mary Robinson, President of Ireland, speaks to the McFarlin Fellows.
- Archives separated from Special Collections and assigned to Toby Murray.
- 50 Fellows have contributed $175,000.
- Francis Wyndham-Jean Rhys Addenda.
- Howard Brown Christopher Morley collection.
- William and Emily Kiekhofer give Wealth ofNations (1776).
- Jack Powell gives his Sherlock Holmes collection.
- Cyber Cafe opens on the Main Level. McFarlin is one of the earliest libraries in the state to open a cafe.
- Stafford Davis gives his Sherlock Holmes collection weeks before his death.
- 51 Fellows have contributed $250,000.
- Computers upgraded to Pentium IIs.
- HTML pages created and added to library website as department component.
- John and Lee Major give Nuremberg Chronicle (1493).
- The library is merged into Information Services.
- 5,131 linear feet of compact shelving installed.
- Addenda to Richard Murphy Papers acquired.
- The Chapman Trust creates the Robert & Ida McFarlin Endowment to support rare book and manuscript acquisitions. The initial gift is $500,000 with an additional $1,500,000 pledged.
- Robert H. Patterson takes early retirement; 59 Fellows have contributed $33-5,000.
- Francine J. Fisk appointed the new Library Director.
- Sid Huttner resigns to take post at the University of Iowa. Lori Curtis becomes the Head of Special Collections.
- 61 Fellows have contributed a bit over $400,000
- Sir Rupert Hart-Davis library and papers arrive at McFarlin.
- Special Collections offices are redecorated.
- The Staff of McFarlin Library celebrate the building’s 75th anniversary with a rededication ceremony in the Faculty Study.
- Lori Curtis resigns to take a position at Loma Linda University. Marc Carlson becomes Interim Head of Special Collections.
- Special Collections collection number system is established.
- Rupert Hart Davis cataloging project is begun