Announcing THREE Contests for Outstanding Essays and Papers on
Women’s and Gender Studies Topics
Cash Prizes to be Awarded
Attention All TU Undergraduate and Graduate Students!!
Did you write an incredible essay or research paper on a topic pertaining to women and/or gender during the 2016 academic year? If so, we invite you to enter the Women’s and Gender Studies Essay Contests,
sponsored by the Women’s and Gender Studies Governing Board.
DEADLINE: FRIDAY, MARCH 03, 2017, BY 5:00 P.M.
Awards will be made in each of three categories:
- Essays written for WS 2013 – Introduction to Women’s Studies;
- Essays, research and seminar papers written for any undergraduate class at TU other than WS 2013;
- Essays, research, and seminar papers written for any graduate class during 2016 at TU.
Who is eligible/multiple entries:
- The contest is open to all TU students;
- Students may submit a maximum of one entry in each category;
- Multiple entries should be submitted separately, with separate Application Cover Pages (see below);
- Undergraduate entries must not exceed 5000 words, including any footnotes and references;
- Graduate entries must not exceed 7500 words, excluding any footnotes and references.
- Entries can be on any topic related to women, women’s issues, women’s experiences, sexuality, gender, feminism, and/or feminist theory;
- Entries must have been written for a TU course taken Spring 2016, Summer 2016, or Fall 2016;
- Entries must NOT have been submitted for the Women’s and Gender Studies Essay Contest in previous years;
- Entries from Women’s and Gender Studies or non-Women’s and Gender Studies courses are eligible, as long as they meet the topic requirement;
- All references must be cited appropriately;
- Students are permitted to discuss their submission with faculty and others for help with revisions.
Criteria for judging:
- Essays will be judged by members of the TU Women’s and Gender Studies faculty;
- Entries will be judged on:
• Persuasiveness and clarity of arguments presented and thoughts expressed;
• Effectiveness of organization;
• Quality of writing, including effectiveness and appropriateness of language, and proficiency in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- One winner in each of the three categories will be awarded $100. The judges may, at their discretion, award one or more $50 honorable mention in each category.
- Winners will be announced at the Women’s and Gender Studies Spring Reception.
How to Enter:
- Submit your paper including a filled-out Application Cover Page (see here) via email attachment to Diane Jessup, Microsoft Word (DOC) preferred.
- Because essays will be read anonymously, please put your name only on the Application Cover Page, not on the essay itself.
- Multiple entries should be submitted separately, with separate Application Cover Pages.
- Submission Deadline: All entries must be received by Diane Jessup by March 03, 2017, at 5:00 pm .